May 16, 2010

The NBA Playoffs?


Having not been an NBA fan my entire life, I've always found it hard to follow the NBA Playoffs. In fact, I wouldn't even consider myself a "non-fan," but instead I would classify myself among the small group of people that despise the NBA. First off, I'm not typically a bandwagon fan, except that one time the Revolution made three straight MLS Cup's and broke my heart each time! So I find it hard to adapt to the NBA even when the Celtics are at or near the top (see: 2008 NBA Champions). Secondly, I've always found NBA basketball to be incredibly repetitious and theatrical. It must be the hockey fan in me that wants to see physicality and ugly-play when it comes to fighting for championships instead of individual diva's searching for a spot on ESPN's Top 10, but that's neither here nor there. In fact, my general dislike of the NBA has nothing to do with the on-court antics of the league's superstars.

The 2010 NBA Playoffs have already been the best showcase for why some people find the NBA a disgusting dramatization. Now, bear with me basketball lovers, because much, if not all, of this perception is due to mainstream media (notably you, ESPN). But, when the advocacy and championing of single player takes center stage over the chase toward the sport's Holy Grail, then it becomes maddening and repulsive. Case and point...Lebron James (you had to see that one coming).

Now I would have no problem turning on my television and seeing Mike Wilbon, Tim Legler, or even Bill Walton blabber on about the Celtics playing the Magic or how the Phoenix Suns have absolutely no chance against the Hollywood Rapists. My problem is that when I change the channel to 49 (849 for you HD'ers), all I see on the side-ticker is "NBA Free Agency" and "Lebron." At some point, I would imagine it even has to become offensive to the most diehard NBA fans. Now, from what I hear, because I don't know jack about talent in the NBA, this Lebron guy is a pretty good player. But why does that mean we have to make excuses for his pathetic playoff efforts and speculate as to where he'll be playing next year?

It has now gotten to the point where the Lebron talk has gotten absolutely laughable. It was bad enough when Lebron was attributing his struggles to "feeling like he got hit in the funny-bone." Now we've got word that he actually struggled because Delonte "ugly as fuck" West was pumpin' Gloria James. How many excuses does "The King" need? Yea, you sucked in the playoffs, get over it. When Arod was struggling every October, it was simply the fact that he wasn't an October player. When Joe Thornton was still pulling the eight-spoked B over his chest and getting repeatedly silenced in the playoffs, it was attributed to the fact that he was simply not a playoff guy and couldn't cut it when it really mattered. But now that the superstar of the NBA can't cut it in the playoffs, it has to be some sort of injury or supernatural phenomenon that is making him struggle!

It doesn't even stop there! We can think of all the excuses in the world for why he can't cut it in the playoffs and why he hasn't lived up to his "Next Jordan" billing just yet, but ESPN and Co. need to take it a step further! Rather than devoting their attention to the remaining four teams in the hunt for a championship, they would rather speculate as to what is going to happen in free agency. Will Lebron stay in Cleveland? What about Chicago or New York? Will he sign in Miami to play with D-wade? Will he transfer to the NFL to inevitably become an all-pro at WR? Answer to all of the above...WHO THE FUCK CARES!? The playoffs are still happening! Hi, ESPN, I'm Earth, have we met? Wake up NBA fans! Stop glorifying your self-wallowing superstars and focus!

The problem with the NBA might not even be the fact that the play is dull, repetitious, and often meaningless and boring. The biggest problem with the NBA, and yes, I realize that the NBA has a much bigger fan base than the NHL, is the fact that the fans and the media would rather pamper the individuals of the league than endorse their favorite team. For teams like the Celtics, I can admit things are different. From what I can gather, they're all about the team aspect of the sport. But for the majority, the NBA is a league of individuals, and it's the reason I'll never jump on the bandwagon come playoff time.

No comments:

Post a Comment