May 19, 2010

Quick Thoughts


I'll start with the NBA Draft Lottery. You know, for not being a fan of the NBA, I like the draft. I'm still not sure why I tuned my TV to ESPN for the lottery process, but I'm glad I did. The unveiling of the top 3 teams was both comical and familiar. The whole year I kept hearing that the Nets were historically bad and easily the worst team in the league, so I figured that they would benefit most from drafting John Wall. The best part was ESPN showing the "Fan Party" for Nets diehards, and watching them act in devastation was somewhat comical. Yea, I'm devastated about the Bruins, but there's a safety net catching all those Bruins fans jumping off Zakim Bridge (his name is Taylor Hall...or Tyler Seguin). Now the Nets fans have to deal with being the worst team in the league one year and not getting this years phenom as part of the compensation for their epic struggles. It reminds me of years ago when I thought I was going to become a Celtics fan when they would draft Greg Oden. Watching the lottery and seeing the Celts logo come up for the fifth pick just kinda sealed the deal for me never being a fan of basketball.

Moving on...Anyway, glad to see two outspoken dickheads got beat-up in the Sox-Yanks mini series. If there is anyone on the Sox I love to root against it has to be Papelbon. Whether it's his stupid goggle dance, the "Cinco-ocho" routine, or the fact that he played stupid when the Sox got Lackey and "didn't know" until three weeks later. My ass Paps, stop trying to play the nonchalant tough guy and please realize that you aren't Mariano Rivera just yet. Oh, the other guy who got hammered? Joba. If there is any athlete in general that you love to root against, it has to be this fat toad. Good to see he blew the second game of the series and gave the Red Sox at least a small glimmer of hope. Now don't get me wrong, the Sox aren't going anywhere this year, but it's still nice to see them beat the Bombers.

As much as I hate to right now, I'll right a small part on here about the NHL Playoffs. I'll start with Joe Thornton. The guy finally was able to get past the first round of the playoffs this year, but he's back to his usual tricks in the Conference Finals against Chicago. Chicago, in my mind, has already advanced to the Finals. Same goes for Philly. I had a hard time deciding who I wanted to lose more in the Montreal-Philly series, and I guess it's got to be the Habs. But it's still painful to see the Flyers advance and then absolutely trash their opponent in dominating fashion for the first two games of the next round. I think you have to throw Philly in the same situation as the Hawks, because they've likely punched their ticket to the final. In fact, as painful as it's going to be, I think it'll be Mike Richard hoisting the Cup in a few weeks. There's just something about Chris Pronger that says losing isn't an option in the playoffs, and Michael Leighton now has two shutouts and a "half shutout" in just over four games so far in the playoffs.

It's nice to see that the Bruins are being proactive in contract talks with Dennis Seidenberg. He was arguably the Bruins best defenseman down the stretch after being acquired in a deadline-day deal. Too bad he severed a tendon in his wrist that cut his season short just prior to the playoffs. Still, it will be hard to consider this long offseason a success if the Bruins aren't able to retain Seidenberg and Johnny Boychuk, both unrestricted free agents.

One quick note before I wrap things up, and it's about Thierry Henry. It's David Beckham 2.0. Another European soccer star who's career is winding down and he can no longer cut it over in the Premiere Leagues where soccer actually matters! Note to Henry and all MLS owners...people in the US never have, don't currently, and never will care about MLS soccer! Soccer in the US is to European soccer what the Lowell Spinners are to the Sox organization. If people in North America are gonna pay attention to soccer, they're gonna watch the major leagues, not the equivalent of a short-season minor league affiliate.

No comments:

Post a Comment