May 31, 2010

The Ultimate "Man-wich"


On April 12, KFC launched the “Double Down,” a disgustingly greasy and unhealthy meal consisting of bacon, spicy mayonnaise, Pepper Jack and Monterey Jack cheese, sandwiched between two pieces of fried chicken. The sandwich has no bread and not even a single piece of lettuce. This may be a bun-less sandwich, but it is about as meaty as Kim Kardashian’s back side. Amen.

This past Friday, I finally tried the unprecedented sandwich despite having no intention to ever try one. I am not in the granola crowd, but I could not wrap my head around the concept of holding two pieces of greasy fried chicken. I just envisioned opening up the wrapping around the sandwich and witnessing the grease start racing down my hand like the Kentucky Derby. My image of the sandwich was enough to turn my stomach.

It was 1PM when I was done with work. My boss was giving me a ride back home. While we were driving back, he randomly pulled into KFC and said, “Ryan, have you ever tried the Double Down?” I simply told him no and he looked at me like I was Sloth from The Goonies. I guess my hand was forced into having one…. (Side note- I packed my lunch for the day and so did he. The Double Down has that much control over a man.) I received my Double Down from the obese lady at the register (only fitting) and indulged myself in all 540 calories, 32g of fat, and 1,380mg of sodium, punching my ticket for clogged arteries.

The sandwich was UNBELIEVABLE! It was so tasty it was disturbing. After the first bite, I was hooked. The sauce compliments the overly salty pieces of chicken perfectly. The cheese is partially melted into the two strips of under cooked bacon. Yet, the sandwich's appearance does not matter due to the taste. I would take the Double Down over any Big Mac or Whopper. Our phenomenal research team at The Boston Sports Party found some pretty amazing/disgusting facts about the DD.

As of Friday, May 21st, the day I ate my first, KFC has sold 10 million Double Downs. Nutritionists from the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine’s are even advocating for KFC to keep advertisements for the sandwich at least 500 yards away from schools. One consumer, according to Digitaleternal.com, used 6 double sided napkins to soak up the excess grease/oil from the Double Down. Perfectly normal and healthy...

I do not care what the health facts are. The Double Down is the definition of a “Man-wich,” a sandwich that makes all men proud. I will take the gamble and double down with the sandwich every time, the reward is just too tempting.

1 comment:

  1. Wils, who cares about the health facts? The DoubleDown is a revelation. I had my first (and only, regrettably) mere days after it's release. Good description though, the thing is unreal.

    ReplyDelete